Thursday, September 1, 2011

Introduction Blog Assignment # -1




Why are you taking this class?
To be honest, I did not put very much thought originally into taking this class. However, it did look interesting since all computers interact with humans in some sort of way, and quantifying that is a useful tool.


What experience do you bring to this class?
I have some experience poking at Arduino projects, but mostly just to control servos. Nothing directly related to human interaction with it though.


What do you expect to be doing in 10 years?
In 10 years, I would like to be engineering a solution to some sort of real world problem. It's hard to say specifically what that would be since 10 years is a very long time.


What do you think will be the next biggest technological advancement in computer science?
I think the next best thing will probably be some tool to compile higher level code directly to support multi-threading in the same way higher level languages gave programmers easy access. Since the only real boost in performance in computers in the future will come from parallelism, it makes sense that it will need to be more easily accessible for general programming. 


If you could travel back in time, who would you like to meet and why?
I would go back and find out whether or not Fermat's Last Theorem was a hoax. It caused 400 years of searching and a 100 page paper for a real proof, all of which could have been prevented if he shared his original. 


What is your favorite style of shoes and why?
I love my Olukai sandals. Every pair of shoes I've owned have a general lifetime of about a year. These sandals have lasted 3 years with extremely heavy use and showing no signs of failure.


If you could be fluent in any foreign language that you're not already fluent in, which one would it be and why?
Japanese culture has fascinated me. Getting a look into it can't always be done by clicking a translate button, or reading Wikipedia articles written in English.


Give some interesting fact about yourself. 
I can lick my elbow.

1 comment: